Birth Control (Contraception) Expert Forum
Nervous about blood clots

This Birth Control & Contraception forum is for questions and information regarding birth control and contraception. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Nervous about blood clots

I'm 34 and six months post partum.  I'm interested in going on the Nuva Ring but nervous about blood clots.  It's never been an issue for me in the past when I've been on birth control, and I didn't get clots while pregnant.  However, when I was pregnant and they tested my blood at 8 weeks pregnant to see how likely I might get clots, I was told it was slightly elevated, but cleary not enough for them to be concerned or test me again.  I don't smoke and am in good health. I do have benign PVCs, which have gotten worse since giving birth, which I'm thinking might be hormonal.  Just wondering wat your thoughts are on going on the Nuva Ring.  Thank you
HI!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that you are an excellent candidate for the Nuva ring. Everything about your history suggests that you are at low risk for blood clots. I would certainly be willing to prescribe the ring to someone with a similar report.
Hope this helps!
Dr B
Dr Brown

Thank you for your response.  I just had my hormone levels tested.  My thyroid and FSH are normal, but my estrogen and progesterone are quite low.  I'm only 34, and Six months post partum.  I got my period 5 weeks after having my baby (by c section), and I was exclusively breast feeding.  My doctor thought that was unusual.  Now, I'm suffering from PVCs and extreme anxiety fro ovulation until menstration.....then I'm fine, like nothing ever happened.  My heart doesn't skip, I feel calm, and I have an almost euphoric feeling once I start my period.  So it makes sense that my hormones are low.  Why would this be?  I did not experience these symptoms pre pregnancy, though it did take me a year to get pregnant.  I also had placenta previa.  Could this all be related?  My doctor does want to check my platelet levels before putting me on birth control to regulate my hormones.  If my platelets are high, she won't let me go on birth control, which is the only way I might feel relief from my horrible PMS symptoms.  Is there anything else I should be doing, or any type of specialist you would recommend for this issue?  Thanks for any of your thoughts.  And sorry for the lengthy post.