Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Nuvaring

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Nuvaring

I put Nuvaring in for the first time on the second day of my cycle and my period stopped. Is this normal?
Avatar dr f tn
Hi there,
Nuvaring contains the hormones estrogen and progesterone. It keeps the levels of these hormones at a constant level to prevent the eggs from maturing. When these hormone levels decrease and there is sloughing of the inner lining of the uterus you get your periods. If you miss the periods you may consider pregnancy in the following circumstances: if the ring was out for more than 3 hours during the 3 weeks of ring or you waited longer than 1 week to insert a new ring or you have left NuvaRing in place for longer than 4 weeks. It is best to consult a gynecologist and get yourself evaluated.
Best of luck and take care!