Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Ortho evra and antibiotics

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Ortho evra and antibiotics

I have been using the ortho-evra patch for about 5 months now.  About a month ago I had a boil and was prescribed Doxycline.  I did not know at the time that this anti-biotic can interfere with your birth control.  I had unprotected sex with my husband during this time.  Now still using that patch, when I went to change the patch to the next one I guess I did not stick it good enough because it came off and then a day later my period began.  Is there any chance that I could have gotten pregnant. I know that I have my period now but I am unsure of what happens when doxycline interfers with yoru birth control.  If I am pregnat when will a pregnany test show positive. Also how long will Doxycline affect my birht control. I am sorry for all of the questions but I have also heard that doxycycline is dangerous to take when pregnant.  Will this be an issue if I am pregnant. I will finsih the prescribe in the next day or so.,
Yes the antibiotics can interfer with your birth control I was put on amoxill and was on BC when I became preggers with my second son It took 4 weeks to show positive ... But U never know maybe U arent pregnant .... Just wait 4 weeks and test :)

LG Proud Mommy of 5 to be!!!
Not pregnant.
Hi!
I am just jumping in to this forum, so answer is late.
You did the right thing with doing the pregnancy test, and you probably don't have to worry from here.  Antibiotics can sometimes decrease the efficacy of oral contraceptives, but only during the cycle in which they are taken.  
Hope this helps!
Dr B