Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Paragard & Pregnancy Symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Paragard & Pregnancy Symptoms

I started taking Lo Loestrin in early August of this year. I took the last pill of my third pack on October 24th, which was the same day I had the Paragard IUD placed. Since having the IUD placed, I have not bled at all. I have only had spotting for the last few days. The last time I bled was the first weekend in October (two weeks prior to getting the IUD). I had a pregnancy test done at my doctor's office immediately before having the IUD placed which had a negative result. However, over the last week I have been experiencing frequent urination, fatigue, nausea (with and without smells being the cause), and my breasts are covered in very visable blue veins and are very sore and sensitive. I have taken a pregnancy test and the result was negative, but I am concerned due to the fact it's been over five weeks since bleeding at all and three weeks since my IUD insertion. Anyone have similar experience? Were you pregnant? Is this side effects from coming off hormonal birth control pills? Any help/advice/experience would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Delayed periods are slightly unusual with Paragard since it does not contain any hormones. Pregnancy is the commonest cause of delayed periods. Stress, too much of exercise, hormonal fluctuations are few common causes of delayed periods. In your situation it is possible that hormonal fluctuations due to birth control pills may be causing delayed periods. For more queries and assistance visit your gynecologist. A detailed evaluation may be necessary. I hope it helps.
Best wishes and regards!