Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Period that WILL NOT stop.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Period that WILL NOT stop.

So, I'm 19 years old. I started my period in about June and it has only stop for about 4 to 5 days at a time but keeps returning. It is not a light flow either. I am having to change my tampon once an hour. (sorry TMI) I have gone to the doctor twice about this. The first time she ordered me to get blood work done. It came out and I'm perfectly healthy. She put me on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo (The pill) to help with it. Even that hasn't stopped it. It has been 6 months and I am always fatigued and plagued by terrible cramps that also won't stop. She told me that if it doesn't stop I'll have to explore another treatment option. I'm only 19 and don't know what to do.. if anybody can help that would be amazing.
Hi there

I can't believe they have left you this long ang not even given you a scan or taken a biopsy for testing!!!

The two most common causes of menorrhagia are hormone imbalance and uterine fibroids

Hormonal Imbalanceis an imbalance of the hormones estrogen and progesterone is the most common cause of menorrhagia. In order to build up your endometrial lining, your body releases estrogen and progesterone. If these hormones become imbalanced, your endometrium can continue to build up and bleed excessively.

Uterine Fibroids are non-cancerous growths that form inside your uterus. These can interfere with your reproductive system, causing irregular bleeding.

Other common causes of menorrhagia include an improperly fitted IUD,  ovarian cystsa and  certain reproductive cancers, like uterine and ovarian cancer.

The hormone progesterone is often given to women suffering from prolonged heavy bleeding. Progesterone can help to normalize the menstrual cycle. This may have been the next step your doctor was going to try.

I would change to a different doctor if I was you .  Bleeding for that long can cause you to become anaemic (lack of iron) not to metion the expense of all that sanatory protection you are having to buy!!!

Excessive amount or duration of menstrual flow, at more or less regular intervals is called menorrhagia. Sometimes it is associated with polymenorrhea(Frequent flow, cycles of ≤21 days)Causes of menorrhagia are Hypothyroidism, Endometrial proliferation or hyperplasia like ovarian tumor and polycystic ovarian disease, endometrial polyps and neoplasia, endometriosis, fibroids and uterine sarcomas.

In my opinion you need to get your pelvic examination done from your gynecologist along with investigations like complete blood count, thyroid function tests, PAP smear and ultrasound uterus. Once cause of menorrhagia is identified, treatment can be planned.

I hope it helps. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I'm 37 and always had heavy, long periods.Even before giving birth. But, last year my period lasted about 4 or 5 months. My husband forced me to go to ER. I would bleed through a pad within seconds. (Clotty, painful) As humiliating as it was to have pelvic exams, vaginal 'ultrasounds' , all of it, they first  gave me hormones and another pill. Which stopped the bleeding for 3 weeks, to do testing. They wanted to do a blood transfusion, thats how much blood I lost(also anemic) It ended up being fibroid's.Along with low iron and potassium. a simple prescription of birth control regulated my bleeding.Ask your doctor if a new type of pill will help.

Im sure your doctor knows what they are doing. Just be sure to keep them informed, it could be very dangerous.  please excuse my spelling.

Bhupinder Kaur, MD is suggesting everything they had me do:)
I am hypothyroid due to having a thyroidectomy two years ago. I have always had very normal cycles (every 28days) until last year december. I didn't have a cycle that month but it returned normal the following month like clockwork. Well, This year december, my cycle started on the 19th and hasn't stopped yet. Went to doc on day number 10 and he put me on medroxyprogesterone pills which haven't kicked in as of yet (day #5). It seems to be heavy this week just like my cycle started all over again without stopping. I am 44yrs old and thinking that my thyroid issue may be sending me into early menopause but doc haven't mentioned this.  
hello, iam 23 years old, last 2010 i was diagnosed with endometriuma, after the treatment, my cycles went well. Normal up to 7 days with spotting up to 10 days. I am now worried since i started my period this sept 16,2012. No signs of stopping as of today day 13. not so heavy period but i am worried that my endo might back. Any idea?