Birth Control (Contraception) Expert Forum
Possible pregnancy?

This Birth Control & Contraception forum is for questions and information regarding birth control and contraception. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Possible pregnancy?

I I have been on the depo shot for the past seven years and five of the seven years I have been abstenant. I was supposed to go for my shot on sept 17 and never got my shot until nov 7, which made me six weeks late for my shot. Approx. three weeks after I got my shot I had unprotected sex and the guy came inside of me. I have been having abdominal cramping, I have been having flu like symptoms, discharge from my breasts, etc. I took two home pregnancy tests and they both came back faint negative. could I be pregnant from not having sex in five years, or for that matter be pregnant at all. I cough and my stomach hurts too. I have never had any real bad side effects from the depo shot either.
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would reassure you that you are probably OK since you didn't have intercourse until 3 weeks after you got the shot.  Depo usually takes about 2 wks to kick in.  I would recommend doing at lease one ore pregnancy test in about 2-3 weeks.  Remember a few things:  one is to use condoms when beginning a new relationship to prevent STDs and the other is that you can use the "morning after pill" Plan  B is one option.
You may want to be tested for STDs if the abdominal pain continues.
Good Luck!
Dr B