Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Pregnant on nuvaring?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Pregnant on nuvaring?

I'm 19 years old and have been on the nuvaring for 2 years now. I always use it as directed but lately I have been feeling a little off. My boyfriend and I don't use condoms and sometimes he doesn't pull out. My ring comes out sometimes but I always put it right back in within an hour. A few weeks ago after intercourse I noticed some bleeding which lasted for 3 days after. I never get spotting in between periods so I thought it was really weird. I have been having cramp like feelings for almost a month now. I've been very moody lately and I also occasionally get headaches. I also have had absolutely no appetite, i feel nauseous and food just isnt appealing to me. All this could be from stress but I'm still worried. My period isn't expected for another 2 weeks so I can't take a test yet. I have been reading online about people using the nuvaring but still getting pregnant. Could I possibly be pregnant? I am not financially stable to support a child right now and I am in college too. Please help me
Since the nuvaring had fallen out many times and you had unprotected intercourse, chances of pregnancy cannot be ignored. There are sensitive urine and serum pregnancy tests which can detect hcg levels as low as 20 Miu for urine and 5 Miu for serum hcg test, as early as 8 to 12 days post ovulation. These are highly sensitive tests. The results can be confirmed by a pelvic ultrasonogram to visualize the intrauterine gestational sac and a positive fetal heart sound.

I’ll also suggest you an obstetric ultrasonography, which can pick up the pregnancy in the first 4 ½ weeks of pregnancy.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing