Really Long Period
Hello!

So I started taking YAZ on the 2nd day of my period (because it started at like a really odd hour of the evening and I wanted to take my pill in the afternoon). My period didn't end for 20 days and started to get really brown/black by the end of it. I also went through some INSANE mood swings so bad that I couldn't even focus on work and study.

I went to another doctor for a 2nd opinion - my doctor said it would go away eventually - and switched onto YASMIN. With Yasmin most of my mood oriented side effects are gone however, my period has gotten a lot worse. It's not even normal, it's like heavy back discharge. I've been on Yasmin for 2 days now and my period has gotten even heavier.

I really REALLY just want it to go away before I go traveling which is in 5 days - I literally leave the country for Asia where I wont have the capacity to really deal with my period everyday. The reason I went on Birthcontrol in the first place.

Any advice? I've been told going off the pill wont help any and that I should just stick with it but it's going to be a 30 day period soon. I am really sucky at dealing with it! Thanks guys
Hi there!

Prolonged periods could occur due to a few causes such as hormonal/ endocrine issues, bleeding disorders, erosions/ ulcers/ trauma, growths/ masses etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a gynaecologist at your earliest convenience for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. If the bleeding is heavy or you experience symptoms like dizziness etc. You may consider a visit to the ER.
Hope this helps.

Take care!