Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Removal of Mirena IUD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Removal of Mirena IUD

Hi all!! I am just curious to find out from anyone who has had the Mirena IUD what the removal process is like. I have had mine for 3 years on January 17th. I am planning to have it removed around that time (more likely February when i got for my next yearly). I have tried to look this up online but all i can find is "your doctor will remove it", nothing about if it is painful, do you start your period or bleed, cramps, discomfort...nothing. i have found that it is easier to remove than insert, but i am just curious. my husband and i are planning to start trying for baby number 2. also curious if anyone started trying to get pregnant immediately after removal. i know you can, but i do not have an AF as of now and havent had anything besides some minor spotting, so we decided we want to get the IUD removed and then give my body a couple months to get in the flow of things again then start trying around May. Does this sound about right?
i have been on the IUD for like 3 months and my BFF had one also and she had it removed and she said it feels just like ti did when putting it in. They take it out the same waythey put it in.
i know the process for removal. i didnt have any discomfort during the insertion due to just having a baby and my cervix was still slightly dilated. i am more curious finding out from someone who has had theirs in as long as me. i would think that after three years sitting stationary that it may cause some pain/bleeding?
I loved having mine removed, no pain.
Do you get AF right away or ???? i dunno. it's hard to find info on the removal online.
I had my Mirena put in around November of 2007.  I have had it for a little over a year now.  I did not think that it could come out unless a doctor removed it.  Well.. it fell out last night after intercourse.  I have been spotting on and off for a week or so now and have been having wierd symptoms in my breast and abdominal area.  I seriously need to know what is going on, and if this is something that happens to a lot of women; the fact of the Mirena falling out and these wierd breast and abdominal pains.  One of my breast have been very itchy and I have had shooting pains shoot through my breast.  My abdomin (abdomen) has been very, very tender from the bottom of my ribs down.  I hope that this has nothing to do with any type of pregnancy symptoms b/c I already have two young children and am not ready for another just yet.  PLEASE RESPPOND AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.. I AM VERY~VERY CONCERNED..
Thank You~~