Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Seasonique and Hives

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Seasonique and Hives

Hello. I recently started taking Seasonique on Monday and on Saturday night I developed Hives. I was wondering if this could be because of the new birth control I am taking. When I went off birth control about a year ago, I developed hives right before my period would come and they would be so bad to the point my whole body was swollen in hives. I was just wondering if I could get the same effects while trying to adjust to a birth control, and if the hives would develop a couple days after starting the pill. Thank you.
Avatar dr f tn
Hello there,
It may be difficult to determine whether the birth control pill is causing hives or there is some other cause. When an allergen enters the bloodstream, it starts a series of reactions in the body’s immune system. These reactions lead to the release of histamine and other chemicals into the blood and can result in hives. It can occur at any time, even if you have been using a product for many years or just a few weeks. Take an antihistamine for relief in symptoms. If the symptoms are severe it is best to consult a dermatologist. I hope it helps.
Best luck and regards!