Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Second IUD and now bleeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Second IUD and now bleeding

I had the Mirena in place for 5 years and then last year had it replaced since the time had come.  I had no bleeding/period when I had the first one.  However, now I am experiencing bleeding, cramping, etc.  II constantly have to be on birth control otherwise my period doesn't seem to end.  I went 8 weeks in the longest stretch.

I know the site says that women can have changes in their menstrual cycles but is it normal to go from no bleeding at all to having a period?  

I would appreciate some help.  
Avatar dr f tn
HI,
Mirena is known to cause menstrual alteration like scanty periods or no periods or irregular bleeding. But going from no bleeding to excessive bleeding with the same IUD does not seem correct. You should consult your gynaecologist for an examination.
Hope this helps.
Avatar dr f tn
HI,
Hope this helps.
Thank you very much.  I will see what I can do.