Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Severe Cramps with Mirena?...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Severe Cramps with Mirena?...

I have had my Mirena for almost four years and I've never had a single problem until now. I have recently started having severe cramps that come and go on a daily basis. They are drop to your knees, crying on the floor cramps. I saw my gynecologist and she suggested that it may not be the Mirena causing the cramps and that I should just go see another doctor and try to figure out what's wrong after charging me $460! Anyone else having this issue? I'm contemplating having it removed?!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
Without a complete evaluation it may be difficult for me to determine the exact cause of your symptoms. Since you have an IUD inserted it is best to get the position of the IUD checked and see whether it has shifted anywhere else other than the uterus. If it is in place other causes of abdominal pain should be considered depending on the precise location of the pain. Reflux disease, appendicitis, PID, kidney stones, twisted ovarian cyst are few common causes of abdominal pain. For exact diagnosis and management a clinical examination and ultrasound abdomen is necessary. Do write to me again.
Best luck and take care!
I had an ultrasound. They said the position of the IUD was correct. What leads me to believe its the IUD is the contraction like uterine cramps. I had a pelvic exam as well and they found nothing out of the ordinary.