Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Severe cramps with IUD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Severe cramps with IUD

I get severe cramping  pains from my IUD during/after sex and when I get my "period" That has been going on for over a year. I also have a thick white discharge with no smell to it. I was diagnosed with bacterial vagenosis but after treating it twice the symptoms have remained the same. Could it be something else? Should I have the IUD removed on case that's the problem? What else should I get tested for as the doctors only test me for stds which I don't have. Maybe cysts, endometriosis or PID? The cramps have been so bad I have considered going to the hospital numerous times but generally I take an Advil and it helps until it goes away.
Tenderness during intercourse is called dyspareunia and there are some possibilities which need to be evaluated in your case. Pain during sex can be due to infection of the vagina, cervix, tubes by bacteria, yeast; lower urinary tract infection; endometriosis (deposits of the inner lining of the uterus in the pelvic cavity); ovarian cyst and tumors ;remnants of hymen; vaginismus (reflex tightening of the muscles at the opening of your vagina);vaginal dryness etc. The status of IUD also needs to be checked. It may be due to the IUD in your case.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.