Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Should I get my implant removed?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Should I get my implant removed?

I'm 16, currently in a relationship (going two and a half years) and I got the implant Dec 6th last year (2011). I've had it in 6 months this month, and I'm still bleeding, constantly. I started bleeding 26th Dec and it hasn't stopped.

I suffer from a history of severe depression, and I can feel it gradually getting worse, after my doctor told me it would help. I've also noticed that my moods are all over the place. I've threatened to kill my brother, and had him up against the wall a couple times since having the implant. One minute I'll be angry as hell, the next I'll be cry and not even a minute later I'll be happy as larry, as if I'm doped up. It's even started to hurt a little in the area that the implant is in.

My mum says I shouldn't get it removed, and that I should give it a chance, but to be honest, it's made me feel like complete ****. My boyfriend is nuetral about the situation, as long as I'm still using some kind of birth control, he doesn't really care.

I really want to take it out, but I'm not ready for a baby, no matter how much I want one; I just don't know what to do.. help?!
Changes in the pattern of bleeding because of the birth control are there and these may involve scanty bleeding or heavy bleeding also. These side effects become better in the following 6 months after implant but if they persist or worsen, then it may need a change in the birth control. You should get examined from a gynecologist as heavy bleeding can cause anemia.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.
I've had the implant in for just over a year. I been going through the exact same things as you.  I was also told to give it a try before having it taken out but now my appointment has been made.
I bleed constantly, it never settled down. My mood swings are awful. I wake up fine and anything can set me off to the point I'm snappy, argue with my partner, shout and get short tempered and feel depressed and getting constant headaches.
I've noticed over the last six months its gotten worse and I can't bare being the way I am. Its making me so paranoid and argumentative,I've changed so much and miss the days I use to chill out and not worry or stress over the slightest thing.
Only you can decide if you have had enough of it, you know your own mind and body and can tell yourself if it's changing you.
I Hopemthings work out for you xx