Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Spontaneous Period

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Spontaneous Period

I've been on the depo provera shot for approx. 7 years now. Today while I was out I had some cramping and then quite a bit of bleeding. I haven't had a period in over 6 years, not even spotting. The bleeding was bright red and I didn't notice any blood clots. 8 hours later the bleeding has pretty much stopped. Next shot isn't due for another 2 weeks. I'm out of province and can't see my doctor for awhile. Wondering if anyone has had a similar episode? Wondering if it was a spontaneous abortion....
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
It may be difficult to determine the exact cause of your symptoms without a complete clinical examination and evaluation. Abdominal cramping and bleeding could be due to pregnancy or ovulation. It could also be due to a miscarriage. Few other conditions where cramps and bleeding could be a symptom are ovarian growths, uterine growths and cervical cancer. You need complete medical evaluation and tests like ultrasound abdomen to detect the cause of your symptoms. I sincerely hope it helps.
Best luck and regards!