Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Spotting but no period yet during week of placebos?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

A bit of history....I was on the BCP (Marvelon) for 4-5 years with no side effects or problems and went off of it in order to try to conceive 5 years ago. After I had my son, I didn't go back on it (my husband and I used condoms until we were ready to TTC again).  Now, here I am, 12 months post partum.  Up until a month ago, I was breastfeeding so I was on the mini pill (Micronor).  I had absolutely no side effects with it and my period returned, regular and like clockwork, when I was almost 11 months PP.  Once I stopped breastfeeding, my doctor switched me to a combination pill - he prescribed Marvelon, but the pharmacy gave me the generic version, Apri.  I've taken all of the active pills and am now on day 3 of the placebos....and, although I've had some spotting, my flow hasn't started "for real" yet.  I've been experiencing headaches, loss of appetite and a bit of nausea from the pill, so the doctor is switching me to Alesse.  But I guess because I've only ever known being regular, the fact that I haven't had a full on period yet worries me a bit.

I know that no one here can tell me for sure what's going on, but the doctor and pharmacist both said that my hormones are likely out of whack, what with recently finishing breastfeeding and everything.  Of course the possibility is also there that I'm pregnant - but I do think that would be unlikely (still, I'm going to get an HPT and take it anyway).

Has anyone else ever experienced this?  
Well....no one's responded to this, but I thought I'd let anyone who might have read it that my period did finally come...it's just been lighter than usual (which I know is normal while on the pill) and took a few days to start up and amount to anything other than some minor spotting.  I didn't actually end up getting an HPT - I just knew there was such a little chance that I was pregnant, I didn't think it was worth doing.