Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Vaginal Contraceptive Film (VCF)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Vaginal Contraceptive Film (VCF)

hi, i was wondering if anyone has ever gotten pregnant from using the vaginal contraceptive film? (vcf) i have a sensitivity to condoms and wanted to get off birth control...we wont mind if we do become pregnant but its probably just not the best thing to have happen right now..so..i was wondering if any of you have become pregnant from just using it or anyone you know has? so far i like the product pretty well...it was a little tricky to get in at first...its pretty sticky and i was worried about locating my cervix but after a practice run it seems pretty simple. but i havent heard how reliable it is from people other than what the company says about it..
I've used it. It's pretty convenient. Just remember to wait at least 15 minutes after inserting to have sex. Yes, it can get sticky fast so you have to insert it quickly. It might take a few trial runs (I've had to start over with a new one before) but it's not hard. Insert it as far as you can. You should be able to feel your cervix. Just remember to do it quickly or you'll have to start over!
Also, my friend used it for awhile for birth control. I think she used it for about a year before her husband got a vasectomy. No pregnancy scares for either of us. Hope it works for you. :).
Vaginal contraceptive film works because of the sperm killing chemical called nonoxynol-9. It is considered a form of spermicide. The World Health Organization reports that spermicides, including films, have a failure rate of 29 percent with typical use and 18 percent with perfect use. In other words, it is effective 71 to 82 percent of the time at preventing pregnancy.

On the other hand, a much better efficacy is reported by Canada’s Planned Parenthood, whose VCF factsheet puts the rate at anywhere from 79 to 94 percent effectiveness. With typical-use effectiveness rates much lower than that of hormonal birth control methods, it is a good idea to use a back-up method for preventing pregnancy.

Condoms are an excellent choice for a second method to combine with VCF to increase effectiveness at prevention of pregnancy. Because VCF offers no protection against sexually transmitted diseases, condoms should be used unless the couple is monogamous.

Can my boyfriend go down on me after using a VCF?