Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Went off bc

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Went off bc

I've been on the pill for over a year. My husband and I want to start trying to conceive. How long does it take for the pill to be out of your system?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there!
There is a slight delay in the return of fertility in OC pill users but there is usually no permanent impairment. After stopping the Pill it may take several months before your body returns to a normal regular cycle. There may be a prolonged period of amenorrhea in few women after cessation of combined oral contraception. There may be post-pill amenorrhea seen in few people. In this condition there is failure to resume menstruation within six months after discontinuation of oral contraceptives. But if OC pills play any role in infertility is really doubtful. Hormonal causes, scarred ovaries, follicle problems, tubal infections, tubal adhesions, endometriosis are the common causes of infertility and intake of OC pills has never been mentioned as a cause of infertility. Do discuss your concerns with a gynecologist. Take care and regards!