Birth Control (Contraception) Community
What is the right birth control for a teen?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

My sister is 16 yrs of age, morbid obese and sexually active and the parents do not know about that but i'm very happy that she could come to me about. I have already taken her to go have a pap smear and the results are great. Ok my question is tomorrow i am taken her back to the doctor to get her prescribed birth control that she also agreed that she would take. I'm not sure on what kind of birth control should she be prescribed considering her excessive amount of weight that she has put on. Any suggestion before tomorrows visit will be helpful thank you!

She is not allergic to any medication!!!

Concerned Sister
Her parents should really know about her health, she still is a minor.

And first off I dont like that term "morbid obese", it's a cruel term to use to anybody. Second of all, she needs to know why she is gaining so much weight. Was she always heavy? Or did this just happen? She might have PCOS, a condition in where you gain weight (mostly in the stomach area) and have irregular periods, overweight, excess hair. So that could be why maybe she gained alot of weight. TO answer your question on birth control, whichever her doctor feels is the right one. I started on Yasmin when I was around 330lbs (i now weigh 276) and never had a problem with it not working.

You need not to be so cruel about your sister's weight issues. She needs support from you and the rest of her family. Find out why she put on so much weight.
Where in the post was she cruel about her sister's weight?  The term "morbidly obese" is a medical term used to describe people over a certain weight.  It's a health issue, not a judgement one.  The information was completely relevant to her question, which was whether or not her sister's weight will effect her medication.  It sounds like she's giving her sister all the support she needs by helping her with this and looking out for her future sexual health.

Tenderheart22, I don't really have any info for you except that I've never heard of weight being a factor with birth control effectiveness, but that doesn't mean it isn't.  Since this will be her first time on birth control, the doctor will give her a variety of options and tell her about the benefits/risks of each, so you guys don't really have to go in with a certain one in mind.  I'm sure the doc will be able to shed some light on the specific weight question.  Good luck!
Okay hun let me get one thing str8 with you. No where in my question says anything about me downing my sister, I love my sister and will do anything for her. So please don't put words in my mouth. Morbid obese is a medical term and i'm sorry if you don't like it. And if the parents care about her well being then i don't mind putting them involve. But they will not take her to her doctor, so yes as a CONCERNED SISTER  I stepped in and helped her with  the well being of her health. So it is nothing cruel for what i asked!!! So as a sister of 5 sister myself I will never judge my sister, that is what god is for. So don't come at me like i'm doing something wrong cause I know i'm not. So Family is suppose to be there and help huh. Why dont you say that to my parents who sit there and call her fat and all sorts of fat jokes to her face and then crying on the phone to me about it.YOU call that support!!!!!
First off.... Nobody knows your family situation, so don't get things twisted. I've seen alot of your posts recently, and I find when I READ THEM that I don't see the support from you. Not saying that you dont support her, but thats how I'm reading on what you write. And we all know that term is medical, but IMO its cruel. I dont think your sister would react so nice to if somebody called her morbid obese. I know I wouldn't.

Everybody on here has the right to their own opinion. I answered your question. Now hopefully doctors can figure out why she gained so much weight.

And if your parents wont take her to the doctor to seek help, then thats child abuse.