Birth Control (Contraception) Community
bc pill & triglycerides

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

bc pill & triglycerides

I have mild hypertension for which I take Lisinopril.  My doctor requires that I have lab work every year or so to monitor my cholestrol & HDL/LDL as well as ALT and Triglyceride levels.  These were all fine last year (HDL was at the low end of normal).  
I also have a history of endometriosis and last year my Gyn put me on Jolessa because I increased pain I was experiencing.  I took the Jolessa for just under a year and just stopped taking it in mid-January.  
In mid-February I had new blood work tests performed.  My HDL/LDL were good (40/132), my cholestrol was a bit high, my Triglycerides and ALT were very high (373 and 73 respectively).  I very very rarely drink alchohol - a glass of wine or beer in a month on average - and had not had any alchohol several weeks prior to this last test (and even then only 1 glass).  
Could the birth control pill have caused my Triglycerides & ALT to have become so elevated?
Yes it can be the cause. Studies have shown that is can increase one's cholesterol up 40/50 points on avg. My Triglycerides skyrocketed when i was put on a high dosage bc. it has since dropped when i took a lower dosage. I would suggest talking to your doctor about trying different types to see which will least affect your cholesterol.
Thanks for your response!  I've done additional research and found other information indicating that bc pills may have been the cause for the increase in my numbers.  My gyn prescribed Seasonale for a year for endometriois issues (this is the kind where u only get ur period every 3 months) but have been off since late January.  My blood work was done in early February.  I did mention the pill to the nurse who called from my gp's office about the results.  I see my gp in a couple of weeks & will mention it again.  I already know she will be giving me a scrip to have the tests repeated in 3 months which will be about 4 months after stopping the pill.  Hopefully the numbers will have started to decline by then.