Birth Control (Contraception) Community
do birth control pills stop working?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

do birth control pills stop working?

I've been on the pill for years now with maybe a 6 month break.  For the past two months m period has been really weird.  The first month of this my period came a week early but it was more like spotting, and then when it came time for my actual period to start it didn't come, so I went to the gyn. she couldn't explain it and told me to keep her updated.  This past month I had my period and I had spotting a week before again, but this time when I was suppose to have my period it was really heavy, and I had cramps which i normally don't have.  So my question is, do birth control pills ever just stop working? and if they do can you just switch to a different brand?