Birth Control (Contraception) Expert Forum
iud after baby

This Birth Control & Contraception forum is for questions and information regarding birth control and contraception. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

iud after baby
I am currently pregnant and I'm interested in getting an iud after i have the baby.  I'm curious how long after i have to wait to get the iud?
Thanks. :)
Hi!
We used to think that we had to wait at least 6 weeks after delivery to insert and IUD to be sure that the cervix was closed.  There is some new research that seems to indicate the inserting them earlier does not cause an increased risk of expulsion.  Your doctor may be willing to insert one right away, or may ask you to wait.  Either way you can get it within 6 weeks, and they are effective immediately.
Good luck!
Congratulations on baby!
Dr B