Birth Control (Contraception) Community
iv antibiotics and birthcontrol

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

iv antibiotics and birthcontrol

I recently had my gallbladder removed. before the procedure I received IV antibiotics. I am also on birthcontrol. about 4 days after we got home my husband and I had sex but he pulled out. is there a chance that my birthcontrol was inaffectice at that point?
Avatar dr f tn
Hi there,
Antibiotics can make birth control pills less effective. During the time when you are on antibiotics you should use non-hormone method of birth control like a condom, diaphragm, spermicide to prevent pregnancy. You had intercourse 4-5 days after taking i.v antibiotics and had adopted pull out method during intercourse.Pre-ejaculatory fluid does not contain sperm, it can't by itself cause  pregnancy.  However if any sperm left in the penis from the last ejaculation has come to the tip of the penis there are chances of pregnancy though less. In your case it seems unlikely that you could get pregnant. Wait for your periods. If they are delayed by more than 2 weeks take up pregnancy test. Visit a gynecologist for more queries and assistance. I hope it helps.
Best wishes and regards!