Birth Control (Contraception) Community
mid cycle breakthrough bleeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

mid cycle breakthrough bleeding

hello,
I'm a 20 year old man. a few nights ago me and my girlfriend had sex, we used a condom and i ejaculated outside her, but unfortunately pretty near her. when i ejaculated, we realized that the condom was defective. this had happened on the 24th of october evening. she took an  I-pill which is an emergency contraceptive pill containing 1.5mg of Levonorgestrel. her last period was on the 11th of october and the one before that was on the 9th of september. but she experienced some midcycle breakthrough bleeding this month on the 30th. she is also experiencing sore breasts. what does this mean in the context of pregnancy and its chances and also in the context of side effects on her body.
is everything ok?
Avatar dr f tn
It may be difficult to confirm the exact cause of her symptoms without a complete clinical examination and investigations. The primary mechanism of emergency contraception is delaying ovulation. There may be temporary disruption of menstrual cycle. This can manifest as early or late periods, spotting or breakthrough bleeding. Menstruation usually occurs on an average about 14 days after ovulation. So delayed ovulation may result in delayed periods. She has taken emergency pill within 24 hours after an unprotected act so her chances of conceiving are very less. Tender breasts could be due to hormonal changes or premenstrual syndrome. The chances of pregnancy are very less. Wait for her perids.In case she misses it take up pregnancy test. Do keep me posted.
Best of luck and kind regards!
thank you so much.

i had one more query, Today in the morning i,e 21st of nov she got her periods.So is it normal or was she supposed to get em early as her dates were around 13th of nov. she had a mid cycle bleeding also as mentioned above on 30th of oct. so was she supposed to have her periods around 30th nov or no. can you please tell me what it is exactly. its normal or not? are there still chances of some pregnancy?

thanks a lot