Birth Control (Contraception) Expert Forum
mirena & acne

This Birth Control & Contraception forum is for questions and information regarding birth control and contraception. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

mirena & acne
Im 23yrs old i had mirena for a yr and 2 months so far...absolutely love it i must say! But i was beginning 2 wonder about the mild acne im discovering! I believe its from estrogen imbalance because i've done some research and my doctor told me mirena has estrogen in it. Of course i didnt think too much of it because i didnt have acne before. I tried all types of acne products even proactiv..nothing seems to work for me...my question to u is: is there any kind of medicine i can take orally thats safe and wont interfere with my mirena that will balance or even lower my estrogen level so that my acne can go away? Please help...i dont want 2 remove my mirena i jus want clear skin.
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that you could try Sprionolactone for the acne.  Estrogen might also help.  For more severe acne, Accutane can be very effective.There are lots and lots of topical products on the market too.
Good luck!
Dr B
Mirena does not have estrogen in it, i'm pretty sure! Are you sure he said that?