Birth Control (Contraception) Expert Forum
skipping the pill and antibiotics

This Birth Control & Contraception forum is for questions and information regarding birth control and contraception. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

skipping the pill and antibiotics

I have been on the pill (Yasmin) for a few years now. Next week I am going on holidays so I do not want my period. So I skipped the placebo pills and began a new packed of pills immediately as I normally would when skipping a period. However, as of yesterday I began taking amoxycillin antibiotics for tonsillitis. I know antibiotics reduce the protection effects of the pill but will it also reduce the controlled skipping effects? That is, will I end up getting my period in a few days as it would have come normally. If so, is there any way to stop it? Thanks
Hi!
Because the antibiotic you are taking is Amoxicillin, you will probably be OK on both counts.  Some other types of antibiotics (such as rifampin) can be more troublesome.  To be on the safe side, a back up method of birth control is usually recommended though.
Good luck!
Dr B