Birth Control (Contraception) Expert Forum
still bleeding....miserable

This Birth Control & Contraception forum is for questions and information regarding birth control and contraception. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

still bleeding....miserable

Hi. I struggled for two years to have a baby so I seen a fertility specialist and was successful as I welcomed my son feb 2012. Now come August 2012 I finally get a period after birth. Well I haven't stopped. I've seen my gyno several times. Nov2012 she puts me on orthotricycln which I have to come off of three weeks after taking it due to severe migraines and dizziness. Not to mention it didn't help. So then I finally got a follow up app dec2012. She said that I've bled enough and this will do the trick. She put me on that seasonique three month pill pack. She said it would work within a week. Well nearly two months into the pack no such luck. I have been dx with pcos and slight anemia. I do take 65mg of iron per day. I've called my doctor every day this week and believe she has written me off. She is seriously the only one in my area that is in my ins network. Whats next? Whats up with me now? Whats the prognosis for my fertility future? I'm pretty sure I should have died months ago due to all the blood loss. Is it really worth it taking these pills when they do nothing anyways? Heard somewhere that if I take straight prometrium for ten days that would work...help...
Hi!
First let me congratulate you on the birth of your son!  Secondly, if you were my patient, I think at this point I would do two things.  The first is to prescribe 14 days of antibiotics for you.  The second is to prescribe birth control pills, two per day until the bleeding stops.  Once it stops, I would put your dosage back down to one pill per day to finish the pack.  I would also do an ultrasound just to be certain that nothing is amiss with your uterus. I think your prognosis for the future is excellent.  Keep taking your iron too.
Good luck!
Dr B
Thank you! Might I ask what the antibiotics are for?
Did you have a c-section with your baby? I had a simalar thing happen with me after my 2nd child. I was on the mini pill but just bled continiously black stuff, wasn't nice. As soon as i stopped breast feeding my body regulated again. I think sometimes after birth your body almost gets confused sometimes and doesnt know whats going on. It cant be nice at all I would try and find a better doctor if you are able to.
I did have a c section. The bleeding has always been bright red.