Birth Control (Contraception) Community
the right birth control for a teen

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

the right birth control for a teen

My sister is 16 yrs of age, morbid obese and sexually active and the parents do not know about that but i'm very happy that she could come to me about. I have already taken her to go have a pap smear and the results are great. Ok my question is tomorrow i am taken her back to the doctor to get her prescribed birth control that she also agreed that she would take. I'm not sure on what kind of birth control should she be prescribed considering her excessive amount of weight that she has put on. Any suggestion before tomorrows visit will be helpful thank you!

She is not allergic to any medication!!!

Concerned Sister
That's a hard one.  Many hormonal birth control are designed for fairly average sized women.  Something like an IUD or maybe those sticks they put under the skin may be what is suggested.  I really don't know but would like to know what is perscribed, out of curiosity.  Good luck to your sis, and I'm glad she could talk to you, and had the forsight to start protecting herself.
You should definitely talk to your doctor. It may not be a good idea to put her on HORMONAL birth control if she is so young, since she is still developing and it will affects bones and things. The depo shot has a very high risk of causing osteoperosis already, so is probably not good for a teenage girl. Also, all hormonal bc types work differently for everyone, it is not an exact science. Talk to the doctor, especially if there are weight concerns, history of depression/mood swings, etc. It will help them make the right decision.