Birth Control (Contraception) Community
thinking of using the implant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

thinking of using the implant

Hey all

I have recently stopped taking the mini pill as it was giving me too many side effects. I'm due to see my family Dr next week and i was wondering if the implant would be much better.
Does anyone have any positive and negative points about it?
I've heard it can cause annoying bleeding, but does it last for the whole 3 years or just the first couple of months?

Any advice will be welcomed.Thanks
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
Each contraceptive has its own advantages and disadvantages. Once it’s been implanted one can more or less forget about it unlike pills and condoms where you have to take or use it every time. Menstrual irregularities frequent or prolonged vaginal bleeding, headache, weight gain, increased appetite, breast tenderness, dizziness, mood changes are few common side effects of implant. In few women the periods may become infrequent and light, or even stop all together. The response varies in every woman. For more queries and assistance it is advisable to consult a gynecologist. Keep me posted.
Best wishes and regards!