Birth Control (Contraception) Community
thyroid/implanon connection?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

thyroid/implanon connection?

I've been on a variety of birth controls since the age of 13 and at 19 my dr told me about the implanon and how it lasts 3 years and a simple procedure. It all sounded great so I went ahead and got it.
After 6 months I had constant mood swing , abnormal bleeding , headaches , and constantly fatigue, depression,anxiety and anger issues.I went back to the dr and she told me it takes about a year to fully set in my body. It was hard but I waited it out. I also gained 20lb so I was Determined to lose the weight.
Two years into having the implanon I was diagnosed with hypothyroid and went onto taking synthroid . I thought since my Mother had it, it was just genetics . About 5 months before my birth control was time to he removed I felt more myself, no mood swings, happy, no depression, less anger and no bleeding at all. I decided to get the implanon again in sept thinking since I had it in for 3 years I wouldn't have to go through all the trouble like the first time. But as of now , things are horrible. I'm bleeding, cramping all the time. Rapid heart rate, crazy anger / mood swings that's just out of my control , it's so hard to lose weight , always tired , not motivated. And it's really starting to affect my relationships with my boyfriend , friends an family. But I question if its a good thing to remove this , how long will it take for my body to be normal again? Will I always have thyroid problems? I'm only 23 and taking 88mkg of synthroid. As I got diagnosed when I was 21. Is that normal ? Most of all, will my mood swings go away ?
What you are having are side effects of the birth control. Implanon can cause mood swings, weight gain, irregular bleeding, constantly fatigue, depression,anxiety and anger etc. Moreover hypothyroid can also cause depression and mood swings in individuals. Get your thyroid levels checked at regular intervals and keep on taking the synthyroid till you become euthyroid and shift to some other form of birth control measure after consulting your gynecologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.