Blood Disorders Community
A catching in your arm after giving blood

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

I gave blood on Wednesday, and when I gave it it hurt way to much! I've had blood taken loads of times and it never hurt that much.
The next day I felt a catching in my arm when I bent it and extended it. It doesn't hurt but I no there is something not right.
Is there a chance it hit a neve? I haven't got that much of a bruse so I don't think it's internal bleeding. Can this sometimes happen then taking blood?
Hi!
Well the pain that you are feeling post blood donation is probably thrombophlebitis or swelling (inflammation) of a vein caused by a blood clot. Dopplar ultrasound is quite conclusive in this—otherwise venography is performed for confirmed diagnosis. Often clinicians can diagnose this on their own. Normally analgesics, anti-inflammatory and some anticoagulant (please never take this on your own as they can cause bleeding into organs) are given for this. Avoid hanging your hand down for a long time. Take care!