Blood Disorders Community
Anemia

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

Anemia

Hi, I'm not sure I'm posting this in the right group but I see alot of post about Anemia here so I'm curious if someone can help to determine what these blood results mean.

IRON AND TOTAL IRON IG
BINDING CAPACITY
IRON, TOTAL 21 L 40-175 mcg/dL
IRON BINDING CAPACITY 423 250-450 mcg/dL
% SATURATION 5 L 15-50 % (calc)
FERRITIN 5 L 10-232 ng/mL IG
Hi!

To assess a patient’s iron status, measurements of iron, TIBC (total iron binding capacity) and measurement of ferritin are performed. Transferrin is a substance that transports iron in the plasma. If the saturation is below 20%, the amount of iron carried by transferrin is decreased. In this situation it is also expected that the absolute serum iron will be low. Normally in iron deficiency, iron is low, TIBC is high, percent saturation is low and ferritin is low. The iron can be low due to poor diet or due to inability of gut to absorb iron as seen in malabsorption syndromes, IBS etc. In your case the serum iron and ferritin is low and TIBC high (though still within range) and transferring saturation is low, which goes more in favor of iron deficiency anemia. Hence iron supplements should help you. Take care!