Blood Disorders Community
Bright red blood after bowl movement

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

Bright red blood after bowl movement

Im a 48 year old male, just have a case of some stomach bug, or so I thought? Diabetic and taking insulin and metphormin. The last two days I have had diaharea, no hardness to the stools basically all liquid as soon as I sit with almost no control over when I can go. Yesterday I noticed I had no blood in the toilet yet a lot of bright red blood on the tissue paper as I wipe, and went through a few pieces just taking up blood? Tonight as I used the restroom again, the tissue again was loaded with bright red blood and I noticed the toilet was full of bright red blood? I did start out by having a bit of a firmer stool in the beginning but finished again with it as liquid. As I sit typing this I do feel a small sharp pain near my rectum, not sure if thats the sign of a cut or tear? Just concerned what this can be, and how long and many times this will happen before it stops? Not sure what to expect, any help is appreiated. Thank you
Hi!
Since there is blood which you can see, it is coming from the lower gut. The possible causes are hemorrhoids, anal fissures, anal infection, rectal polyps, colon polyps, diverticulosis (outpouchings from the bowel wall), inflammatory bowel disease (IBS, Crohn's, Celiac, ulcerative colitis), or dysentery.
If the loose stools started just recently, then please consult a doctor immediately. You will need antibiotics and probiotics to control the infection. Take an OTC lactobacillus preparation (probiotics) and yogurt with your meals. Drink plenty of fluids (clear soups, water, ORS in water, lemonade). Eat light, do not stay hungry but eat simple things like toast, porridge, cereals, crackers, banana, rice, peeled apple, etc. Take over the counter antacid and antiemetic (this SOS for vomiting). Please consult your doctor ASAP. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.