Blood Disorders Community
Can an ultrasound miss a blood clot?

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

Can an ultrasound miss a blood clot?

I have been having pain in my right leg for about a week, I saw my doctor yesterday who sent me for an ultrasound.  I had the ultrasound done and afterwards I asked the woman who had done it if everything looked ok, but she wouldn't tell me she just said that the doctor would have to look at it, which I thought was weird cause usually they tell me if it looked ok.  Well last night after every time I walked my right groin, foot and knee would hurt really bad and now this morning when I walk my calf hurts.  So could the ultrasound have missed the clot?  What should I do?
The pain in your calves and legs can be due to peripheral vascular disease which is caused by obstruction of large arteries. To diagnose it, Doppler ultrasound is routinely done and provides quite a clear view. Otherwise a CT scan or angiography of the vessels in which occlusion is suspected can also be done.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. Treatment can be started only when the diagnosis is confirmed. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.