Easing Symptoms Due to Extremely Low Ferritin
Hi Everybody,

I am 18 years old and was diagnosed with celiac disease roughly 1 month ago.
Due to the celiac, which was undiagnosed for quite some time, causing malabsorption my serum ferritin dropped to a level of less than 1. Since then I have completed the two IV iron infusions my doctor prescribed; he told me that oral supplements would do me o good at this point. While I have been exhausted and generally ill feeling for quite a while, my symptoms have gotten increasingly worse within the last 2 weeks or so. What was me feeling tired, has turned into extreme exhaustion and shakiness all the time. On the weekends I can sleep nearly 20 hours a day and some days barely get out of bed. Also, I cannot get through the day without naps, I have affectionately called them "involuntary naps" because when I get home from class, it is enough for me to sit down in a chair to fall asleep for 3-4 hours. I am a freshman in college, so this is becoming more and more of a problem as I have no attention span and am so foggy that it takes me ages to wrap my head around simple things I could do without a problem several months ago.

I'm wondering how long it usually takes for IV iron to start kicking in and if you have any tips for maintaining energy levels with low ferritin.

All help is greatly appreciated,
Julia
Hi Julia,
What tests were done to diagnose you? Did you have just the blood test or did your doctor do several endoscopy's on your stomach? This is the only way to know for sure. Perhaps you have a wrong diagnosis?

Or. If it is the right diagnosis, the little hair like things in your intestines are probably damaged and can't absorb the iron or your regular nutrients from your food. Are you on the gluten free diet? Half my family has celiac disease.