Blood Disorders Community
FACTOR V AND MTHFR

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

FACTOR V AND MTHFR

My husband has Factor five liden, thromboisis. I just forund out I have MTHFR C677T and A1298C. Our 19 month old daughter tested postive for HETERO. Factor V Leiden mutation and HETERO. MTHFR C677T AND A1298C mutations. She has low iron, and folic acid. Her hematologist put here on liqid iron, poly-vit-sil and 0.5mg folic acid a day. She has serious digestive issues, i though here body was just ajustign poorly to new foods and change in her dait as she grew. Bad gas, and sever constipation, i was giving enemas . She has been this was before we knew she had any disorders, or us for that matter. The three of us were diagnosied in the last 2 years, we had no clue or warnings. How sick is our daughter truley, what will her daily life truley be like?
my husband her dad takes 15mg coumidin daily and his irn's vary 1.6-5.6.
I just found out about my double MTHFR and see my doctor in a few days.
Any advise is apperciated.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. When the body is deficient in methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase, its ability to absorb folate (also known as vitamin B9), such as folic acid, is inhibited.
The excessive clotting that occurs in factor V disorder where the clotting may cause a  deep vein thrombosis (DVT). If the venous clots break off, these clots can travel through the right side of the lung to cause pulmonary embolism. transient ischemic attacks are more common . Given that this disease displays incomplete dominance those who are homozygous for the mutated allele are at a heightened risk for the events detailed above versus those that are heterozygous ( like your daughter) for the mutation. you can discuss in detail with your pediatrician what is the prognosis in your daughter. Take care.