Blood Disorders Community
Finally off all HBP meds???

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

Finally off all HBP meds???

I was on ToprolXL for 8 yrs, 100mg and just recently had my Adrenal Gland taken out because of the HBP.  I was on 7 other medications also.  I am off all other meds and just titrated off Toprol from 100 to 25 over 2 weeks and have been off completely for 5 days.  Since being off of it completely I have gained 8 lbs and I am positive it is all water weight.  Is this typical?  From what I have read it isnt?  My Dr has put me on a diuretic.  I have also been working out logging many miles the last few weeks and have only gained weight which doesnt seem correct either.  All blood levels are good but am starting to look very round, I weigh the most in my life and am quite active.  Please advise, thank you!
Hi!
If your adrenal glands are removed and you are not on hormone replacement therapy to build up your cortisol levels then yes, you can gain weight. You need to be under a cardiologist and an endocrine specialist after adrenal removal so that both your blood pressure and cortisol levels are maintained. Do discuss this with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.