Blood Disorders Community
G6PD and menstrual cycle.

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

G6PD and menstrual cycle.

I have G6PD and often my period will last for approx., 50 to 65 days straight. It is unsettling to my doctor because my heart beat will slow and my blood pressure often drops as well. My doctors have done all types of tests on me and they can't really figure out why this happens. Does anyone have any idea why this happens or what may contribute to this? Or is it really just because of the G6PD?
Hi!
Well G6PD deficiency can cause life long anemia and hemolytic disease. This anemia can cause heavy or prolonged period. However, other causes of prolonged periods should be investigated before this conclusion is reached. A prolonged bleeding of any kind from the vagina can be due to a sore or ulcer in vagina as you see in Herpes or otherwise, endometritis or infection of endometrium of uterus, cervicitis or infection of cervix, fibroids, vaginal infections, vaginal polyp, endometriosis and cancer of either cervix, uterus or ovary. It can also be due to a hormonal contraceptive of any kind or due to hormonal imbalance due to withdrawing it. Sometimes PCOS also presents with prolonged vaginal bleed. Do discuss this with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.