Blood Disorders Community
Hemoglobin is going down again?
About This Community:

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Hemoglobin is going down again?

I had a blood transfusion on July 25 due to an extremely heavy period. I bled through a pad and tampon combined, plus my underwear and pants...every hour pretty much. They gave me an extra strong depo provera shot in the hospital just to stop my period at that time. They then started me on Synthroid because they found out I have hypothyroidism. They believed that could've had something to do with my period being so heavy and long. My hemoglobin before I got the transfusion was 6.6. After receiving 2 units of blood, it took about a month to get my hemoglobin back up to 12.3. The period I got a month after receiving the shot lasted 11 days, and was heavy, but not as heavy. I've been spotting on my underwear since I got off my period a week and a half ago, though. And my hemoglobin has gotten back down to 10. That was from my labs a few days ago. How low does someone's hemoglobin have to get down to before they receive a blood transfusion? I really don't want another one. And I'm scared. I don't know why I keep bleeding...
Blank
351246_tn?1379685732
Hi!
Usually blood is transfused at Hb level of 7 or below, but this may vary according to a patient’s need. You need to find out why you bleed heavy. The causes of heavy bleeding which should be ruled out are fibroids, adenomyosis, endometriosis, uterine polyps, hormonal imbalance, thyroid problems and bleeding disorders. Of these, you do have a thyroid disorder. Ask your doctor about the other conditions. If it is only due to thyroid problem, it should settle down in 2-3 months. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
351246_tn?1379685732
Hi!
Usually blood is transfused at Hb level of 7 or below, but this may vary according to a patient’s need. You need to find out why you bleed heavy. The causes of heavy bleeding which should be ruled out are fibroids, adenomyosis, endometriosis, uterine polyps, hormonal imbalance, thyroid problems and bleeding disorders. Of these, you do have a thyroid disorder. Ask your doctor about the other conditions. If it is only due to thyroid problem, it should settle down in 2-3 months. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!
Blank
Thank you so much! I'm thinking it could be something else too, like you said. It's been almost three months, and the bleeding isn't any better. I'll ask my doctor about the things you mentioned on my next visit. :) Thank you.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Blood Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank