High serum protein
Hello!

I recently had bloodwork done and my TOTAL serum protein was elevated at 8.3 (N 6.1-8.1). However my albumin was normal at 4.9 (N 3.6-5.1), my albumin:globulin ration was normal at 1.4 (N 1.0-2.5) and my serum globulin was normal at 3.4 (1.9-3.7).

My question is why would serum protein be elevated when the albumin, globulin and ratios are all in normal range?

Thanks!
Hi!
Total proteins are mainly constituted by albumin and globulin, but other proteins too make up the total protein component of blood. While 8.3 is higher than the range, this small hike is clinically acceptable and usually does not indicate a disease. Higher total protein levels are seen in chronic inflammation or infection, HIV, hepatitis B or C, multiple myeloma and in Waldenstrom's disease. Please discuss this with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.