Blood Disorders Community
How long does a blood transfusion last for?

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

Hello, my mother went in the hospital for severe anemia hemoglobin level of 7.7. She had a blood transfusion and feels better. She went for a follow up three days later and recorded a 10.7.

-I know the normal for women is 12 and above. I wanted to know should she have a higher hemoglobin level and how long does this transfusion last for and perhaps has she already started losing blood again somewhere?
Hi!
After a blood transfusion, the red blood cells can last for 90-100 days. The transfusion is given to avoid the side effects of low hemoglobin. This cannot treat the cause. Your mother needs to get investigations done to find the cause of low hemoglobin. Correcting the cause will help restore the normal red blood cell number. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.