Blood Disorders Community
LOW BLOOD COUNTS

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

LOW BLOOD COUNTS

My friend just developed anemia and informed me that his white blood count is a bit low as well. He underwent some tests but the results aren't out yet. We are very worried even though I think the anemia is as a result of the intense stress he's been under at work.
He gets tired quite a lot and now he gets some chest pain as well, left side.

What could be wrong? I am very worried.
Hi!
Anemia and low white blood count can cause tiredness. It can also cause chest pain as heart has to pump faster to increase the circulation to meet the oxygen demand. However all pains in left chest should be investigated for an angina or heart attack immediately.
Anemia can be due to seen in low iron, kidney diseases, cancers (leukemias, Hodgkin's lymphoma's, myeloma, and other blood cancers), aplastic anemia and myelodysplastic syndromes (bone marrow disorders), cirrhosis of liver, lead poisoning, and in vitamin deficiency. Low hemoglobin can also be due to increased destruction of blood or its components as seen in spleen disorders, sickle cell anemia, thalssemia etc. It can also be due to increased blood loss as seen in bleeding in your gastrointestinal tract, either due to esophageal varices, polyps, gastric bypass site, hemorrhoids or an ulcer.
Similarly, common causes of low WBC are flu, lupus, Hodgkin's lymphoma, some types of cancer, typhoid, malaria, tuberculosis, dengue, enlarged spleen or hyper-spleenism, and folate deficiency. Please discuss with his treating doctor to run tests to find the cause. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.