Blood Disorders Community
Low IGM?

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

Low IGM?

hi,

I would like to have some input please regarding my immunoglogolin results below:

TOTAL IGA 2.56           normal range 0.7 - 4.0 g/L
TOTAL IGG 11.30           normal range7.0 - 16.0 g/L
TOTAL IGM 0.44           normal range 0.4 - 2.3 g/L

I noticed that i have low IGM what can this be?  I also was recently diagnosed with Candida Non-albican in my stools.

Hi!
In general IgG shows past infection and IgM shows recent infection. So a low IgM basically means you did not catch the infection recently. However, all the results are within normal limits. Please discuss with your doctor. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
thank you very much for your answer. when you say IgM for recent infections, how recent is this, what is the period in average.

Thank you very much
Hi!
The definition of recent would vary with the type of infection. If you are thinking in terms of HIV (according to your other post), it would means anything from a month to six month, depending on the antibody response in your body. So if after 6 months IgG and IgM are both normal then in all probability there is no infection. Take care!