Blood Disorders Community
Low Blood Anemia 11.4

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

Low Blood Anemia 11.4

Okay.
I went to the DR for my yearly exam and went to quest the same day to get my blood work done on 9/30

10/07
Went to get my Blood Work results and they were good except for my hemoglobin numbers.

My Hemoglobin was 11.4 I think the minimum was 11.5 or so..my Hemocrit was good it was not it bold

10/07
My Dr told me to take Iron pills and sent me to take the test again to make sure my iron was low. So i went and I took the test. same day I went to take the 2nd test

10/14
My Iron came back like 50 something.. which shows that my iron isnt low. but the points can go much much higher. but 50 somthing wasnt low the DR said.
my  Ferr was good also...

So she said its not my iron.

I did notice that my Hemocrit was like .2 lower than the first test.  so this was in bold

She told me that I can stop taking the iron since my iron was okay and she was going to send me take another blood test to see if I have Thalmanemia trait (spelled wrong).

I asked her what happens if that comes back negative and I dont have that. She said i would have to see a blood specialist to see why my blood is 11.4 and anemic

I asked her can she check my blood level from last year from when I went. She said sure.

She checked it and my blood level was 11.6 last year which isnt low.. but still kinda close but not low. not sure if .2 is a lot when it comes to numbers.

Then she said well I want you to take the iron and lets see if that will bring it up a little. since your blood was not low last year.

She gave me the referral to take the blood test in 30 days to see if it went up and to see if I have the Thalanemia.

I called my aunty when I left the DR she advised to just go now and check it to see if I have it and get it out the way and be diagnosed etc.

So I just walked over to Quest and got the test donen since I had the referral. Even though the DR sait to wait til 30 days.

10/17
I called the DR and part of the Blood test came back and my Blood was still was 11.4 but i didnt ask what the Hemocrit was. he said the other part was not in yet. and I should have it by Tomorrow

I have 3 kids if I had Thalmanemia I would have known, if I am not mistaken, that is tested along with Sickle Cell, which i dont have the trait for.

My blood is always low when I am pregnant.  In 2008-2009 my level was 9.6 yes low low low. I dont know if they went as deep as checking my iron level. But I was on iron pills... Hey 11.4 sounds a lot better than 9.6 :-) Thought i would add some humor to my worry.

Experts. Can you help me with this one. .

I also would like to know the answer to this as my daughters RBC was slightly low and white blood count slightly high and when I mean slightly I mean like yours. She fainted and had a seizure and that is the only thing that was bolded on her blood test.  So I really hope that someone comes along to answer if the slightly lowered blood count is really that big of a deal and if it could have been the cause of her seizure.
I went in the car and got the results.. These are my exact numbers.
Red Blood 4.26
White 6.1
Hemoglobn 11.3 L
Hemocrit 34.2 L
MCV 80.2
MCH 26.5 L
MCHC 33.1
RDW 16.3 H

IRON 53
Ferritin 15 b12 969
folate 11.8

LAST YEAR my HEMOGLOBIN WAS 11.9 Oct 10, 2010