Blood Disorders Community
Low Ferritin Levels Can Make You Tired? Or Not?

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

I had one doctor tell me that a low end blood ferritin level can make you tired. I had another doctor tell me that the ferritin levels represent stored iron, and that the current hemoglobin level is what will make you tired, regardless of the ferritin.

Now, they can't both be right.....

So, who is wrong in this case?

Knowing would matter in this case, because we're actively trying to find out what's wrong with my daughter, whose ferritin levels are near the very bottom of the reference range. But her hemoglobin, while not in the mid range, is not as low on the scale. It would be good to rule ferritin levels in or out as a source of fatigue.

Thanks!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. Ferritin reflects stored iron in the body and if your intake of foods containing iron is less, ferritin stored in the tissues is used up quickly and this consequently leads to a dip in the blood levels of ferritin. This needs to be corrected, otherwise the stored iron levels will go down as they will be used up in the production of red blood cells. Thus, low ferritin levels can help in the diagnosis of iron-deficiency anemia. In the initial stages, the blood levels of iron might be normal but the stored iron starts getting depleted. Other than the iron deficiency anemia, other causes of low ferritin levels are long-term digestive tract bleeding, alcohol abuse, hypothyroidism, liver diseases, acute hepatitis, inadequate absorption of nutrients from the intestines and malnutrition.  Auto immune disorders could also be linked to low ferritin levels.Symptoms of low ferritin levels include fatigue, dizziness, weakness and headaches. She might experience throbbing, loss of energy, brittle nails, pale color of the eyes, and irritability, an urge to eat non-food items (pico) or pacophagia (compulsive eating of ice), it might be linked to low ferritin levels. An early phase of iron deficiency anemia can be detected by the low ferritin count. So, it becomes even more important to detect low ferritin levels, to stop the mild iron deficiency anemia from worsening. Hope this made some sense. Take care..