Blood Disorders Community
Low WBC of 3000

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

Low WBC of 3000

Hi, my doctor just rang and said my WBC count is 3000. Is that bad. He does not seem to worried but wants me to have another blood test next month.
Hi!
Well, yes, low WBC can be serious, however, if you are recovering from an illness it can be expected. If there is increased infection and the body cannot fight it, the WBC start going down as the pathogen start engulfing them. However, if there is no fever, it is not due to infection.  Chemotherapy, and radiation therapy are the other causes. Other common causes of low WBC are flu, lupus, Hodgkin's lymphoma, some types of cancer, typhoid, malaria, tuberculosis, dengue, enlarged spleen or hyper-spleenism, and folate deficiency. Please discuss with his treating doctor to run tests to find the cause. If all these are ruled out, then it can be bone-marrow suppression.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP to run tests and examination to clinch a diagnosis. Take care!
Hi!
Thank you for your answer, I am worried now. I had a mild heart attach about 2 months ago, could that be anything to do with it?
I had a stent put in a blocked artery.
I have had another blood test today and am seeing my doctor next week, so we'll see what is going on. I am on a lot of new (for me) medications, could that be it?  
I feel OK , have been exercising more. My diet is fine and am not obese.
I am 66 years old.
I'l wait and see what my doctor recommends next Thursday.

thank you

thank you doctor Mathur,

I have had another blood test and this time the count came up with 4700. So its alright.
Thank you for your advise.

I did have a hear attach 2 months ago so may be it was the upheaval from that episode.
Thank you once more
Connie