Blood Disorders Community
Low ferritin
About This Community:

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Low ferritin

I recently had some iron studies done which returned a result showing I had low ferritin, but was within range for the rest of the iron studies.

This is the result:

----------------------------START--------------------------

Iron : 15.8 umol/L | Range: 9.0 - 30.0

Transferrin : 2.8 g/L | Range: 2.0 - 3.7

Total Iron Bind : 64 umol/L | Range: 45 - 80

Saturation : 24.7%  | Range: 16.0 - 60.0

Ferritin : 17 ug/L | Range: 30 - 300

----------------------------END----------------------------

I am quite pale and I look washed out and I am always tired.

I was also diagnosed with autoimmune hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's).

Because the rest of my iron studies were normal except the ferritin, will taking iron tablets help or is there likely another reason for my low ferritin levels?
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I should also add that whenever I have a bowel movement, I bleed bright red blood. Three years ago I had a colonoscopy and the surgeon was unable to determine the reason for this bleeding.

I am going to a different gastroenterologist in the next week to organise another colonoscopy.
Blank
I've got Ferritin levels of 7. Have been feeling mega tired but no-one would believe me & I have been having chest pain which G.P's were dismissive about. I done some reading & this can be cause by eating a Vegetarian diet. In my case the cause is Anorexia. Does anyone know how quickly your health improves after starting Ferrous Sulphate tablets?
Blank
my ferritin level was down to 3 and was having terrible heart palpitations, was told due to low iron/ferritin levels. was told to double up on iron to raise levels. you must also be careful if thinking about a vegetarian diet as alot of raw greens are bad for thryroid. hope this helps a little
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Blood Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...