Low neutrophils, high monocytes and high lymphocytes
I have had ,for some years now, low (panic low) wbc ranging from 1.4 to 2.1 and high monocytes (34), and high lymphocytes (59) I have lupus and drink plaquenil and medrol everyday, but the hematologist told me that only the low neutrophils were caused by lupus ?? What does it mean?
Hi there. Low neutrophils may be due to the disease or side effects of pharmacological therapy.
Lymphocytosis can be reactive involving absolute  increases in lymphocytes caused due to infection, inflammation, toxins, cytokines etc. in response to stress and epinephrine release like in patients with trauma , drug reactions and persistent in autoimmune disorders, hyposplenism, or long term smokers. Primary increase is seen in leukemias,  lymphomas etc.
Monocytosis is seen in infectious protozoal diseases like malaria, trypanosomiasis, bacterial infections like syphilis, in inflammatory ulcerative colitis, systemic lupus erythematosus, neoplastic monocytic leukemia, recovery from agranulocytosis.
Please consult your hematologist for the needful evaluation.