Blood Disorders Community
MGUS - Multiple Myeloma - Low a/g ratio?

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

I have a history of M-spike with Alpha 2 elevations, IgG Kappa type Monoclonal Gammopathy.

We are doing the "watch and wait" approach every six months to watch M-spike. Right now it is at 2.0.

My question is though, my A/G Ratio is always low on my PCP CMP that he does and keeps dropping. For my lab 1.3-2.5 is the normal range and I am now down to 1.0.....

The PCP dismisses it - however, it has been low the last two years and keeps dropping. Shouldn't the a/g ratio be taken into consideration along with the SPEP?

What does that mean?

Thank you!!
Hi!
A low albumin globulin ratio occurs due to:
• Globulin overproduction: as seen in autoimmune disease, MUGS, multiple myeloma. Your immunoglobulin levels may be going up.
• Low albumin production as seen in cirrhosis
• Albumin loss in urine as in kidney disease.

In your case the MUGS may be progressing to multiple myeloma with over production of immunoglobulins. Since the levels keep dropping, the immunoglobulin levels should be checked. Also you need to know if you have autoimmune hepatitis or kidney disease causing low albumin levels. Do discuss this with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.