Blood Disorders Community
Pernicuous Anemia

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Bleeding Disorders. There are many types of blood disorders, including: bleeding disorders, platelet disorders, hemophilia and anemia.

Pernicuous Anemia

Does anyone know about this anemia?  Can it cause a severe personality change?
Pernicious anemia is a type of anemia causing decrease in red blood cells which is caused when the body cannot properly absorb vitamin B12 from the gastrointestinal tract. Vitamin B12 is necessary for the proper development of red blood cells.

In Pernicious anaemia, there’s production of auto-antibodies within the body. These auto-antibodies go on to destroy the parietal cells of the stomach. The parietal cells are present in the lining of the stomach and are responsible for the production of both the hydrochloric acid as well as the intrinsic factor. The intrinsic factor is the factor produced to help in the absorption of Vitamin B12.

It is not related to any personality disorders.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

it is a vit. b12 defficiency.. its life threatening when left untreated.. it can't cause personality change.